måndag 4 augusti 2008

Don’t you just love it when things don’t work out as planned?!

Don’t you just love it when things don’t work out as planned?!

“Start spreading the news, I’m leaving today! I’m gonna be a part of it, New York, New york!” Well, that’s how joyous this post was planned to be. Instead, I’ll account for the small adventure that I’ve had so far on my trip to the Big Apple.

What is it about me and flying? Scared shitless everytime I embark a plane. A million tiny little superstition things that have to be done prior to and during departure. And then, something always seem to go wrong every single time I fly on my own!

Earlier this summer I was to fly down to my grandmother’s cottage, about 50 min. from Stockholm by plane. After 30 min of flying they had to turn the aircraft back to origin. Something seemed to be the matter with the autopilot, and the plane was twisting in a very worrisome way. So, kindly enough, the captain asked us to remain calm as we turned back to Stockholm. The smooth journey that I chose over a 3 hr train ride, took at least 4 hours. I was of course scared out of my wits the whole time and swore never to fly again.

But, I did. And look what happens! I’m on my way to New York to visit some loved ones. I embarked the plane in Stockholm, and then disembarked it again after about half an hour due to technical problems. I mean, come on! The second time in a row! This time there was apparently something wrong with the wind shield wiper, and since it was raining both in Stockholm and in Amsterdam, they had to fix it before departure. It seems so trivial, but I’m actually happy they do stop the flights for small things. I just pray they don’t forget about the more serious and bigger ones in the meantime.

Imagine sitting there, on your way to Sao Paulo like some of the people on the plane. You know you have a tight connection and that there’s only one plane aimed for that destination in like a day. I was happy I had a very long connection here at Schipol to say the least. Especially as they promised us further information 50 min. after we all disembarked!

So, with a voucher of SEK60 in my hand, I ran to the best café at Arlanda airport, ordered a biscotti and a cup of tea (the prices are crazy there, so the voucher didn’t cover a sandwich) for breakfast and waited with the rest of the sweaty, stressed and confused passengers of KLM flight 1106 to Amsterdam. The most enjoyable part of all this is that I got up at 4.30 am to catch the flight! I could’ve slept a lot longer!

Anyways, the problem seemed to be pretty easily fixed as it took them about 20 minutes to get it done. Can’t seem to find the reason why we all had to disembark with the feeling that we’d have to wait forever for a new plane, but I guess it’s better that they prepare us for the worst.

Almost all the people seemed to be rebooked by the time we touched ground in Holland, but the poor party for Sao Paolo wasn’t. I’m now stranded in a pretty far off terminal at this humongous airport, and I have about three more hours here. If you think about it, the delay was only beneficial for me as weird as it may seem. My connection became shorter AND I got a delicious almond biscotti and a cup of tea for free.

Next time I write you, I hope to be in New York, my favorite place to be in the whole wide world. I’m really looking forward for the cab to pull up outside my grandma’s apartment, for the door men to greet me, and then finally to see Grandma who I’ve missed so so so much during the past year.

À Nouvelle York!

Inga kommentarer: