fredag 8 augusti 2008

Thoughts infront of the Olympics

My New York visit this year is drawing to a close. I'm currently on the couch watching the parade of nations from the openiing of the Olympics. It's almost frightening how everything is so precise in this performance. The lines, the circles, the amount of people.. But accompanied, once again, with blueberries, yogurt ice-cream and Hershey's dark chocolate kisses as tradition holds here in Grandma's livingroom, I can't say I have any right to complain!

Today I got out, bought breakfast, and headed off to my old second home here in the big apple; "Steps on Broadway". I was nervous to go in there. Actually I was nervous only to stand outside of there. Several pounds heavier, a lot less flexible, out of shape, no ballet muscles left I kind of felt I'd nothing to do there. But when I went through the doors, late as I usually was back in the days, pressed the buttons in the elevator, smelled the familiar smells, knew exactly how to sign in, where the class was held, who 1/3 of the people in the class was, I felt OK. My teacher recognized me and was her normal, pleasant and patient self. The exercises felt familiar although my back and my hips protested quite severely as the arabesques and the developpés were supposed to be executed. But really, what could I expect? I haven't taken class since May..

After this little escapade I went back to my room and got packed. I need to leave very early in the morning tomorrow, and needless to say, I don't want to be packing all night. Grandma and I went to lunch at another one of our favorite restaurants on the block; "Isabella's" and after that I ran around in the rain trying to get everything I'd left for my last afternoon of bliss. I didn't manage to get quite everything since the rain prevented any long excursions, but I at least got a birthday present for my sister, I tank top that was on sale (I'm on a roll sale-wise!), and a thank you flower to give to grandma tomorrow.

Speaking of thank you:s, I want to present to you what seems to be the eternal question in my head; How do you thank a person that's given you so much more than she really should have about 400 times around? The way grandma has spoiled me during the time I've known her, is almost embarrassing. I feel that whatever I do or say to show appreciation is way too little. What is a card compared to theatre tickets, luxurious dinners and gift certificates all over the dance world in NYC? I wish I could just be here all the time so as to being able to recipricate through helping her run errands and stuff, but living in Sweden makes that impossible. I've said thank you so many times this past week it doesn't even feel like it means something anymore.. I just feel so blessed for having her in my life, and I truly truly truly hope she knows that I love her for being her and not for all the material things she gives me. The experience of having a grandmother who's lead such an interesting life and wants to share it with me, is something I'll cherish for the rest of my life.

Inga kommentarer: