onsdag 24 juni 2009

Sing-a-long

Today was my first day at my new job. I was there three days last week too, but those days I shadowed a co-worker so today was my first day with real responsibilities. And I was so nervous. I started my shift at 7 am and I don't think I was sound alseep until 1 am last night.

But it went well. Most of the patients I cared for today have to have two people attending to them, so I always had somebody to ask about the one million little details that I don't know yet. It's especially hard since I'm a summer employee and will be working all the three units that belong to this ward. (Blue, green and yellow) That way I'm not getting to know the patients as well as the regulars which makes me not as efficient as would be needed sometimes. When I did my introduction, I did it on the blue and green unit, and of course I was assigned to the yellow one today. Just my luck. .

But anyways, the day passed by extremely quickly. We had our hands full all the time, and I got some of the older patients to light up a bit when I told them I sing in a choir. One really old one told me he went to the same music school as I did. Although he started in the 30s and I started in the 90s. So now I'm encouraged to sing all the time. That part is what I really like about this. To be able to share stories with and help people. At this job I actually feel like I'm there for a reason, and that my being there makes a difference for the people in the hospital. The other stuff isn't the funnest stuff on earth. But it needs to be done. And yes, sometimes it's pretty disgusting, I would be lying if I said otherwise. But at those times, I just try to focus on the fact that I'm the one in the better position. I don't have to lay there while somebody else is taking care of me because I'm to sick/injured/senile to do it myself.

Tomorrow I have to get up early again and since I didn't get much sleep last night, I'm now going to make sure do tonight.
Sleep well!

1 kommentar:

Jen sa...

Congratulations on getting through this first day!

And it's so important to remember this aspect of patient care when you're an actual doctor and won't have to do these day-to-day care-taking tasks. I'm so happy you're beyond the coffee house.

It would be lovely if you became the singing aide! ;-)

Love you and miss you!