fredag 3 juli 2009

A summer day's dream

I woke up by myself at 8 am. I looked out the window and realized that the weather was cloudy for the first time in about 2 weeks. Admittingly a bit bitter, my only day off couldn't be sunny after all this??, I went for my morning walk dressed in shorts and my first Michigan shirt. Wearing that shirt always makes me feel a bit nostalgic. I remember buying it before going to the football game in Ann Arbor with my friend Amy. It was a Saturday when UofM took on Indiana at the Michigan stadium. Ann Arbor was crowded with football fans having tail gate parties everywhere. Finding parking was impossible, but I was amazingly happy, and felt very American.

I started walking. Without music in my ears for a change. When I go for walks here in the country, I like just listening to the silence instead of listening to music. As I'd gotten about half way I heard something that first sounded like somebody running through the bushes, then it sounded like a car coming from the bushes. But it was neither it turned out. It was the rain. The rain that had been held back for two weeks and now decided it was time to get back at people in this area by drowning them. Including me. It took me two minutes to realize I was wet all through and that I might as well just keep on walking - the damage was done.

Had a swim in the rain once I got back. I love swimming in the rain. The water feels so warm if you jump into it when you're already wet. Then breakfast; yoghurt, fresh rasberries, strawberries and wild small strawberries that I picked on my walk. There's nothing like wild small strawberries that you pick in the ditches here. I tried to read the newspaper that I'd also picked up from our mailbox but it was a bit too wet and kind of fell apart when I tried to open it.

After breakfast, the weather changed. Bright sunshine, clear blue sky and no wind. Perfect.

I took on the boat. Washed it clean from all the dirt it had collected over the winter. Then I swam out and pulled all of the grass out from the cracks in out little raft that my sister and I jumped down in the water from when we were kids. Well, to be honest, I've jumped from it some today too. It took forever to get it done. But in the heat, working in the water is the best thing you can do.

I had lunch in a deck chair. Salad made from lettuce and spinach leaves, avocado, melon, red pepper, cucumber, feta cheese and just some balcamic vinegar and olive oil. I listened to the radio show "Sommar"; today it was presented by an actor who talked about her life, and I realized I agreed a lot with her view of our existance.

I put on an old CD with "Swedish summer favorites". May sound corny, but I love it. I made apple crumbler and vanilla sauce for my dad, had some myself and then fell asleep in the sun until he got back.

Sometimes summer can't be beat by anything in the world.

2 kommentarer:

Jen sa...

It sounds like the perfect day! And Amy, btw, is due any second. I saw her and Jane for lunch on Wednesday and little Aaden will be here very, very soon!

Nutmeg sa...

Glorious! Sounds like you savored every sweet, summery minute too! Thanks for sharing!